• Start by warming and relaxing the lower back of the person you are looking to massage. Warm some massage oil in your hands, and spread it evenly over their lower back.
• Start to relax the muscles of the lower back by lightly massaging in circles, moving away from the spine and down the sides. Be sure to stay about an inch away on either side of the spine, which can be very sensitive.
• Provide steady but careful focus on knots, which are key points of tension. Massaging a knot too vigorously can be uncomfortable for the person receiving the massage, and lead them to tense up more.
• Be careful about the needs of the person receiving the massage. A relaxation massage will require different techniques than a therapeutic massage for addressing an injury.
• Alternating techniques can help with relaxing and loosening muscles, as well as provide different sensations for the recipient of the massage. Another technique is to use both hands on one side of the back, one hand traveling down while the other travels up. When working on the far side of the recipient's back, be sure to press gently but firmly with the fingers, not squeeze or pinch with the whole hand. On the near side, this can be awkward, so instead apply pressure with the thumb and the lower part of the palm.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades